P3 Grade Accelerator Programme™
Nurturing Your Child To Be An Inquisitive Learner
Primary 3 Regular Class
Become Proficient In Tackling Primary 3 Science Questions!
What Your Child Will Learn
The P3 Grade Accelerator Programme (P3 GAP™) is a weekly, 1.5-hour session where your child will discover proven learning strategies to apply the Science concepts he/she has learnt at school on examination questions effectively and accurately.
During this 1.5-hour weekly class, we’ll work closely with your child to improve his/her thought processes and answering techniques to tackle Science questions.
Understand Primary 3 Question Trends & Question Types
In order to build a solid foundation in Science, your child needs to understand each of the Primary 3 Science concepts and how they may possibly be tested during the P3 Science examinations.
We’ll help your child achieve that by exposing him/her to every common question type that examination setters love to test. We’ll teach your child how to think and what exactly to look out for in each question so that your child can process questions much quicker than others.
Step-by-Step Guides To Tackle Questions, Keywords & Answering Techniques
Your child can also expect to gain more confidence in tackling examination questions as past year examination questions are thoughtfully integrated within each in-class exercise and homework assignment. From time to time, we also have topical tests to assess your child’s level of understanding of a particular topic.
Develop Strong Insights To Avoid Making Careless Mistakes
Our Primary 3 Science specialists will help your child identify potential misconceptions that students often face and discuss them during the lessons.
We will also teach your child how to annotate skilfully when he/she attempts a question, so as to reduce the odds of omitting critical details when analysing the question.
P3 Grade Accelerator Programme™
- Level Eligibility: Primary 3
- Session(s): Weekly
- Total Duration: 1.5 hours/ session
- Tuition Fee:
- S$70/session* (term billing)
- $60 one-time registration fee
About Your Child’s Instructors
Your child will be taught by one of these instructors from our PSLE Science Specialist team.
Ms. Joanna Nazarene
Ms. Joanna is a PSLE Science Specialist from the Pique Lab.
With a Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry from Nanyang Technological University (NTU), she is proficient in her knowledge of Science and is fully equipped to patiently guide her students with the understanding of the PSLE Science concepts and application questions.
Having 6 years of teaching experience, Joanna ensures that her students are engaged and excited to learn by creating an enjoyable and interactive learning environment for them. Due to her friendly personality and devotion towards teaching, she has established a remarkable rapport among her students and their parents.
Mr. Derrick Toh
With a Bachelor’s degree in Physics from the National University of Singapore (NUS), he has a good mastery of Science concepts and is fully equipped to clarify common scientific misconceptions among students. Over the past seven years, he has worked closely with primary school students with differing academic abilities.
He is well-loved among his students for his patience in guiding them through the thought processes and answering techniques required to excel in the PSLE Science examination. Ensuring that the students enjoy his lessons is his top priority. In order to do so, he constantly integrates real-life examples and stories into his lessons to pique his students’ interest in Science.
Every Child Is Supported In Every Step of The Way
Examination-Centric Science Notes
Highly Targeted In-Class Exercises
Homework for Self-Practice
Diagnostic Tests for Progress Tracking
Joining Us In The Middle Of The Term? We’ve Got You Covered.
In most cases, joining a group tuition class in the midst of the academic year often mean that content that was taught previously is unlikely to be covered again in detail.
This is because the teacher has to manage the learning progression of every student in the class. Therefore, it will not be appropriate to cover the exact same content in-depth again for a student who has just joined the group class.
To help your child with getting up to speed on the Primary 3 topics that were taught previously, you may consider helping your child bridge the gap with our P3 Complete Concept Integration™ Science Course.
What We Cover During The P3 CCI Science Course
- Session 1: Living Things & Non-living Things, Plants, Fungi & Bacteria
- Session 2: Animal Classification
- Session 3: Materials
- Session 4: Magnets
The P3 CCI™ Science Course creates an opportunity for us to work with your child outside of the P3 Grade Accelerator Programme™ so that your child can catch up on the material that was covered previously.
This will help him/her make better sense of what we are discussing in class, especially during the examination revision phase towards the end of the year.
LIVING & NON-LIVING THINGS (DIVERSITY)
- Understanding Classification Tables
- Learn & Apply Various Classification Charts & Diagrams
- Classify Living & Non-living Things
- Characteristics of Living & Non-living Things
- Characteristics of Plants
- Classification of Plants
- List The Usefulness of Plants
- Label The Different Parts of Plants
- Exploring The Different Types of Plant Parts
FUNGI & BACTERIA (DIVERSITY)
- Characteristics of Fungi
- Characteristics of Microorganisms
- Classification of Microorganisms
- Usefulness & Harmfulness of Fungi & Bacteria
ANIMAL CLASSIFICATION (DIVERSITY)
- Classification of Animals
- Exposure to Different Animals Based on Their Classifications
- Differentiate Animals Based on Their Specific Characteristics
REVISION ON DIVERSITY
- Living & Non-living Things
- Plants, Fungi & Bacteria
- Animal Classification
- Properties of Materials
- Using Objects to Test For Their Properties
- Describe The Types of Materials
- Classify Materials According to Their Properties
- Understanding Magnets
- Different Types of Magnets & Its Characteristics
- Effects of Magnets
- Classification of Magnetic & Non-magnetic Materials
- How To Create & Destroy Magnets
- Apply The Golden Rules Of Magnetism
DIGESTIVE SYSTEM (SYSTEMS)
- Understand The Flow In The Digestive System
- Describe Each Organ Involved In the Digestive System
- Explain The Functions of The Digestive System
BODY SYSTEM (SYSTEMS)
- Identify The Organs In Each Of The Five Body Systems
- Explain The Functions Of Each Of The 5 Body Systems
- Understand How Different Body Systems Work Together
SA2 REVISION (MIX)
P4 2020 PREPARATION (DIVERSITY)
We’re Conducting This Course Digitally On Zoom
Here’s How We Make It Easy For Parents & Students
Once we have received your child’s registration, we’ll confirm the lesson details with you via WhatsApp.
Install Zoom on your child’s learning device if you have not done so.
Enjoy the digital experience with us!
Who Should Attend This Programme?
Your child is the kind of student who wants to outperform his/ her peers & study the SMART way, like many other high performing students.
You probably have invested thousands of dollars & months of time, but it’s just not working out.
Your child isn’t exactly progressing much & you’re looking for a change in environment.
Your child has been consistently scoring As, but struggle to get a breakthrough to the A*, no matter how hard he/she has tried.
Don’t Just Take Our Word For It.
Hear What Parents Have To Say About Their Kids’ Experience With Us.
Great & Useful Techniques!
“My son always encountered problems fully understanding experimental questions, or was not able to get the full marks even though he thought he had fully answered.
After attending the Experimental Techniques Masterclass, breaking down and analysing the questions seemed very straight forward and he is able to answer fully to the question’s requirements. The techniques taught by Derrick were really great and useful! Thanks to Pique Lab for this class!”
Structured Very Clearly & Concisely!
“My twins and I definitely benefited from the Experimental Tehcniques Masterclass.
It was structured very clearly and concisely which is crucial for answering PSLE Science examination questions. Thanks to Kenneth who always makes it interesting so much so that my kids look forward to his lessons!
As a parent, the debrief was a bonus and to parents who are not sure if their kids should attend – I totally recommend it!”
Parents’ Briefing Is An Eye-opener!
“The answering techniques were very easy to understand and the tips made it very easy to help guide my son in his exam preparation.
Thankful for the parents briefing held after the Experimental Techniques Masterclass. It has given us an eye opener to what was being taught in the lesson and gives us a structure/know how on how to guide/ teach our children at home.”
P3 Grade Accelerator Programme™ Details
The following classes are currently full. If you are interested in any of these time slots, we can assist to place your child on the wait list after you register below.
If You’re Still On The Fence, Hear Us Out.
We’ve been getting these raving testimonials from happy parents weekly after their kids have benefitted immensely from our help. Click here to see what other parents have been saying about our programmes.
In case you’re wondering…
This is NOT one of those enrichment programs where students gain loads of theories and do nothing with them afterwards!
As your child will get to apply whatever they’ve learned directly on school examination questions during the lessons … by the time your child leaves, he/ she will be trained on how to tackle his/ her school homework & school examination papers accurately & efficiently.
Not a month later… or even a week later, but immediately!
During the P3 Grade Accelerator Programme™, we’ll be revealing the exact same study strategies used by our top-performing primary school students. These strategies have helped them save hours studying every day and yet allow them to score As & A*s during their school examinations time & time again!
So… if you are looking for:
1) A highly robust methodology to sharpen your child’s Science answering techniques, especially in their open-ended section (… such that he/she no longer loses marks unnecessarily due to missing links, key words or key phrases)
2) An engaging teacher with a strong proven track record with primary school students (>80% As and A*s) (… trust us: teachers make or break the learning experience for students. Set them up with the right teacher & they’ll enjoy the learning process for life)
3) A comprehensive set of notes to tackle Science questions that high-performing primary school students use to excel in their examinations (… you’d want your child to get his/her hands on these materials & start revising now. The best part: Your child doesn’t have to spend countless hours trying to study, because we’ve distilled the most important parts to take note!)
… then this course may just be perfect for your child.
Now, let’s be real. Is this going to be easy?
There is ALWAYS going to be a bit of discomfort, uncertainty and plenty of hard work when your child is trying to learn and apply our answering structures to tackle examination questions. That is normal & many of our students go through the same process all the time.
Once your child pushes past that discomfort, that’s when you will notice real growth in his/her learning. It will not be a walk in the park, but we have plenty of materials & close guidance to help your child improve his/her answering techniques!
We’ll see your child at our regular class!
Frequently Asked Questions
How are the fees computed for the P3 GAP™?
We have four terms in an academic year for Primary 3 students & they are segmented as the following:
– Term 1: January, February & March
– Term 2: April, May & June
– Term 3: July, August & September
– Term 4: October & November
If you were to enrol your child in the middle of the term, the fees will be pro-rated accordingly.
My child is very weak. Do you have classes catered specially for my child as I am afraid he/she will not be able to catch up with the pace of the class ?
The key objective of the GAP™ classes is to introduce and expose students to the various forms of writing and the techniques involved in tackling Science questions.
As long as our students can understand what is being taught in class, they will do fine. In such situations, we will advise on the suitability of our classes after your child has attended a trial session.
My child does not like to do homework. Will your programme still be helpful?
Completing their homework is an essential aspect of the learning process as it provides us the feedback on whether your child is able to apply the techniques and structures of writing independently.
This enable us to identify students who “fall through the cracks”, allowing us to raise the challenges and difficulties faced by our students, prompting closer communication and cooperation between us and parents.
Do you offer trial lessons?
The purpose of the trial lesson is to allow your child to better understand the teaching pedagogy that is adopted at our centre without a long term commitment.
Can I start the P3 Science Programme without a trial lesson?
For us, we’re all about the best fit. There are two main qualifying criteria when we shortlist students for our regular classes: 1) Learning Attitude, 2) Learning Aptitude (Ability)
1) A student with a good learning attitude and aptitude will be the best fit for our Science programme. We’re best able to help him/her improve in the shortest period of time (In some cases, we’ve had students who saw their grades jumping from 70s to high 80s in less than 3 months)
2) A student with a good learning attitude and poor learning aptitude will eventually improve, so long as they put in the hard work to memorise, revise and apply what they learn. They’ll probably take a longer time to absorb the subject matter, but we’ve seen them improve once they’re equipped with the right skills to excel.
3) We’ve also worked with students with poor learning attitudes (i.e. lazy) and good learning aptitudes. Assuming that these students comfortable with the learning environment, we can try to work with them to overcome their learning challenges. However, a lot of effort is often required to get them to a state where they’re ready to learn and improve. Parents usually commit for one term to assess if our classes work for their kids. In certain cases, we’ve managed to inspire and motivate them to change for the better.
4) The regular classes are not suitable for students with poor learning attitudes and aptitudes. In most cases, these students tend to be disinterested in the subject matter and have problems trying to pay attention in class. (Read more below on these students can be helped)
We recognise that our primary school Science programmes are not a one-size-fits-all solution for every student. While we strive to provide the best learning environment for our students, we also understand that not every student will benefit fully from our programmes. As such, we’ve decided to put in place a behavioural assessment during the trial lesson to quickly assess if the student has a higher propensity of improvement under our guidance.
During the trial lesson, the teacher is able to observe the student’s performance and highlight any potential challenges so that parents can make an informed decision before committing to our regular classes. This is especially important as it is crucial for parents and teachers to align their expectations and work hand-in-hand to maximise a student’s potential.
On the contrary, if a student exhibits signs of inattentiveness, disruption and/or laziness, it’s not that he/she cannot be helped. Rather, a different learning approach should be adopted & it’s typically best administered through a private 1 to 1 arrangement, which we do not offer at our centre. As different students have different learning needs, our role as educators is to find one that best fits them, so they can spend their time meaningfully every week.
Do you have lessons during holidays?
Classes will still carry on during school holidays (i.e. March, June & September). However, if the lesson falls on a public holiday, there will be no class on that day.
The materials for that session will be given to students as homework & they will be reviewed together in class in the next session.
Do you offer make-up classes?
Please check with your dedicated Community Manager if you would like to arrange a make-up lesson.
If your child is unable to attend the make-up lesson in any of our existing group classes (despite having available slots), the materials will be handed to him/her in the next lesson.
My child is doing well in school. How would your centre help him/her to achieve or maintain his/her A*?
We categorise these students as high-achievers or high-performers. From our observation, these group of students typically face two key issues:
1) Extreme Carelessness
They do not take time to read and analyse each question carefully and tend to speed read through the question, choosing the first option that “seems” correct.
They hardly annotate the diagrams and highlight keywords when attempting those questions, often misreading the question.
2) They Don’t Know What They Don’t Know
It is easy for students to clarify their doubts if they are aware of their shortfalls. Given that the margin of error to achieve an A* is very small, It is often challenging to identify their misconceptions before they surface and lose their precious marks in exams.
How We Help Them
To overcome these challenges, our students at The Pique Lab are trained to annotate on their diagram accurately and effectively, such that they are able to lift sections of the question to form the structure of their Science answers. Paraphrasing is a big “no-no” as students tend to distort the intention and explanation of their science answers.
Students will also gain access to ample practice of writing the “end to end” thought process when tackling questions, regardless of whether the question is a 1 or 2 mark question. As what we always emphasize to our students – “The questions during practice should only serve as a reference for practice. Writing in full would help you train your ability to tackle questions that require a longer elaboration to be awarded the full marks.
How would you assess my child? How do you know if he/she is progressing well?
We assess from the following pointers:
– If your child knows the concepts
– If your child understands the concepts
– If your child is able to apply the concepts
We’ll also have in-class diagnostic tests occasionally to assess their level of knowledge. Homework will also be given in our regular classes
After joining your classes, how can I assist my child to ensure that he learns most effectively?
#1: Ensure that your child completes his/her homework on time
Homework is an essential part of the “feedback system” to our specialists. Through our specialists’ marking, we will be able to identify students who have not been able to execute the appropriate answering techniques independently.
#2 Review the corrections together with your child
We recognise that parents often find it challenging to coach their child on Science and we do not expect your to do so if your child is attending lessons with The Pique Lab.
However, we do hope that you can take some time to review with your child the mistakes identified through our marking. Your child should be able to explain what was missing in his/her answer. If it does not sound convincing, it is highly likely that your child needs to clarify those mistakes with their respective specialists again.
This reviews process helps us to avoid the situation where students make the same mistakes over and over again without gaining the insights to the areas of improvement
Course Registration Form
Please fill in the following form accurately.
⚠️ TAKE NOTE:
(1) We have scheduled all courses to be conducted digitally via Zoom until further notice.
(2) The transition from digital learning to onsite classes will only take place once the ministries have given the green light to do so (i.e. all social distancing measures in the classroom no longer apply).
Click Here to Learn More: https://thepiquelab.com/covid19-gap-update/
Note: Please click the “Register Now” button to process the above registration.
You’ll be redirected to a confirmation page after the above registration has been successfully processed.